spankyjr1
spankyjr1, RV Owner
Experience:  I own and have repaired RV and related work in this field.Diesel technician 30 years
65057319

Hi, I have a Hobby Motor home fitted with a Dometic battery

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Hobby Motor home fitted with a Dometic battery charger CA-360-OE 6mths old
that has performed well for 4K miles when one night we had a horrid acid smell. traced this to the 80AH battery being Cooked when connected to the mains site and again when returning home. Charge rate shot up to 25,4 amps and within 1.5 hours the smell was back.
The battery fell back to under 8.4 amps within 15 hours after disconnection from the mains.
Do you think the charger is at fault or the battery.
Thanks for you advice and thoughts. It is booked into a new dealer for this brand locally nextweek to look at,they of course have no experience with these to date!?
Is a new charger available in the UK as we have promised to take Gran Daughter to the Windsor Horse show next W/end for B/day treat so don't want to disappoint her.
Category: RV
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX're having trouble today.I will do my best to assist you in resolving your issue.

Sorry for long delay.

Usually when you smell acid it is from overcharging of the batteries and once overcharged the battery is no good so I would start by replacing battery.
A shorted battery will also cause high amp draw so you must start with a known good battery.

Next after you get new battery check battery voltage not amperage and it should be no higher then 14.5 volts for a 12 volt battery if it is the charger is overcharging and needs replacement or repair.

I understand you would like to make a trip before you can get in for repair so I would change parts needed so you can get warranty if they are still covered.
Just explain you could not wait and needed repair right away and they will pay at least for parts.

If you have questions or problems just let me know.
spanky
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Spanky.

The battery is the one fitted during build during early 2013 so has stood around until Dec 2012 and is of the gel type that I understand are better than the wet type? Its an Excide brand so is this a common problem?

My main query was the availability of the Dometic 360 charger ,for your" advice site "infers you are a qualified person for this brand?

I have looked on Net but cannot find a uk stockist so are they a closed shop supplier? If so can an independent electrical person fix a fault on these type of chargers?

So to sum up 5 points I would appreciate answers on

Thanks again.

Iain Munro

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 2 years ago.
Hi Iain.

Give me about 30 minnetetts to type up a response,,,,, be back in a few.

Please hold replies while I work on this.
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Iain for waiting.
question 1:gel type I understand are better than the wet type?

Gel type are supposed to be better,,,,, they have been around for at least 10 years.
Only recently they have been used in RV idustry where they sit un used for
long periods,,,,,, so it's still to early to tell.
They are better in my opinion if used on a daily bassis.
I Just don't know yet for a honest answer in your application.

question 2:Batteries no matter what brand or type can have defects,,,,,, but this is not a common problem.
Maybe 1 out of 100 are defects.

question 3:My main query was the availability of the Dometic 360 charger.
No it is not available to consumers anywhere at this time.

question 4:for your" advice site "infers you are a qualified person for this brand.
I graduated from a tech school in 1983.
I have over 30 years experience working on charging systems,,, with extensive electronic training
on electrical forklifts that have been using gel batteries and chargers for the last 10 years.
My last training in Batteries and chargers was in year 2008 that included gel batteries and chargers
of many brands.
They all work the same no matter what brand they are.
They may use different parts and use different terminoligy on parts but all are troubleshot the same way.

question 5:I have looked on Net but cannot find a UK stockist so are they a closed shop supplier?
They are not available to consumers at this time.
Right now they are testing in the RV industry and even dealers of this brand is not allowed to make
repairs they must send in the unit for failure analises from manufacture.

Hope I have answered all your questions to your satisfaction.

spanky
spankyjr1, RV Owner
Experience: I own and have repaired RV and related work in this field.Diesel technician 30 years
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for excellent rating Iain very much appreciated.

Best of luck and have a safe trip.
Take care
spanky