Hank F.
Hank F., RV Mechanic
Experience:  RV technician. Emphasis on gensets. Certified on both Onan and Generac.
19372534

I have just purchased a 1995 Winnebago Braveit has a Onan

Customer Question

I have just purchased a 1995 Winnebago Brave
it has a Onan Emarald 1 4kw lpg Genset factory fitted , although it runs really well it doesn't seem to Generate.
The rv has been converted to 240v and does all the electrics ok
I was told that the Generator should not be started when the power source is connected, which the previous owner did !
What if any will the damage be if any ... I have tried the trip and it is wired directly in to a change over box !
Help
Phil
Category: RV
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hello Phil,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for choosing Just Answer for the solution to your problem.
My name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

No, you should never start or stop a genset with a load on it. It can burn up the generator. It is also very hard on the engine.

What is the full model number of the genset, exactly as it is written on the data label?
.