spankyjr1
spankyjr1, RV Owner
Experience:  I own and have repaired RV and related work in this field.Diesel technician 30 years
65057319

I ahve an intermitant starting problem on a g30 1992 chevrolet

Customer Question

I ahve an intermitant starting problem on a g30 1992 chevrolet motorhome. it has happened twice and when the fuel gauge travels way past the full mark the engine will not fire. I have called rescue service and they seem to fiddle with the wires or air filter funnel and the gauge returns to normal and it fires up perfectly and runs ok I have just asked this to Dave 71 and paid a fee with visa but know cannot get acsess to my answer. I fear I have been on an expired link can you help. Tony
Category: RV
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello Tony,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Shantal,

I am still awaiting my answer and I would be gratfull if you keep searching.

Tony

Hello Tony,
Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialities differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tony, my name is ***** ***** having trouble today.I will do my best to assist you in resolving your issue.
Do you know what type of fuel system this has?
Throttle body?
Carburetor?
Ported fuel injection? EFI the type should say on engine tag or molded into air cleaner piping.
About this year depending on emissions this RV has determines what fuel system you have,once I know this we can get this figured out.
Let me know FYI It's a Holiday weekend here, I will keep checking back every hour or two.
Talk soon
spanky
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me,

I think the engine has 2 throttle bodies. These are round units that squirt fuel in the top of the carb when throttle is opened. I have been rather vague I know, because I wondered if the fuel gauge reaction was a clue to a short somewhere.

Tony

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tony,
You have throttle body fuel injection, they use one injector for each bank of cylinders, so it is just considered throttle body fuel injection.
What I would like you to start with is down at starter there are several fusible links that power different parts of the fuse panel,if one is partially burnt or has a poor connection it will cause both your issues.
Them moving wires around may make the contact better for a period of time and cause a intermittent issue.
If that all checks out while engine is running do a wiggle test on all engine wiring,,wiggle test is just grab wires and move around and see if you can get engine to act up,,when you do trace those wires to plugs,,check for any corrosion,loose pins,damaged wires,,repair as needed.
Also tap on any solenoids or relays with a screwdriver looking for same thing.
It sounds like you just have a poor connection somewhere and these are difficult to find, even for a experienced tech, so don't get frustrated just keep repeating checking any plugs you can find in engine bay especially around distributer.
Check around the parts they messed with too as any electrical issue can cause issues with other parts of the RV.
If you have questions or problems along the way let me know I'm happy to assist.
I will answer follow up questions after a rating just reply here after I send you a thank you that will keep question open.
talk later
spanky
spankyjr1, RV Owner
Experience: I own and have repaired RV and related work in this field.Diesel technician 30 years
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the excellent rating and bonus! Very Much appreciated......and please come back again next time you have a problem.
You can always ask for me by name if you like.
You can follow up here if needed.
Thanks again
spanky