Mike, Saab Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert

Im thinking of buying a Saab 93 diesel estate, 2010 Reg. 17,000

I'm thinking of buying a Saab 93 diesel estate, 2010 Reg. 17,000 miles for £11,000. Is this a good deal? Any pros and cons of buying a Saab? I've never owned a Saab before but heard good feedback from Saab owners, of course! What are the negative and hidden things I should be wary of?
Category: Saab
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Ffion,

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help/ advise you ..

Can I just ask - is this a garage ( trade ) or private purchase?

If a trace sale - have you been shown any Hpi reports of any kind - and does it have a full service history?

Kind Rgds, MIKE....................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX out the Hpi Do you have an opinion about Saab as a car?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again..

Thank you for your reply -

First - my sincere apologies that I could only just get back to you as I had to be unexpectedly off yesterday...

Yes re the Hpi - ( for that you can click the link HERE for you ) I mentioned that because it checks the history of the car for you - any hidden history - insurance claims re accident damage - any outstanding finance on the car - stolen register / mileage accuracy etc etc - so its invaluable... There are other, cheaper ones that do similar - but that one is the best to be honest...

The reason I just mentioned it at the outset - along with if its a trade sale - If it is - they tend to have done that already so you only have to ask to see the report - which they should have no objections to showing you. IF they do , object that is - then do your own as see whats there...

As to the car / the SAAB model you have in mind - yes... overall, botXXXXX XXXXXne, Im happy to say they are an excellent vehicle -and while I personally don't own one, I would be more than happy to - especially the version , the Td you have in mind.

They are basically Vauxhall based when it comes to engine management systems etc - so not what you would call " foreign" so wen it comes to repairs, parts and diagnostics etc are actually reasonably priced - the same goes for the running gear etc.

They are actually a very reliable motor overall - Of course, as with any motor - the better its been looked after in its life, the longer it will last and the more reliable it will be - thats why I was asking about service history etc - If you can get its service history , thats good - Ask if its not there, they may have it... and of course the more documented history you have, the better.

That age, of the one you are interested in - at that mileage, it should be a very good buy - and the price is good.

The mileage is very low for its year - in the trade , 10-12,000 miles per year is considered average - so its very low.. Do check out the mileage on the HPi check - to check its accuracy - because they can be "clocked" easily with the right equipment..

There are two versions of the 1.9 diesel turbo engine - a 120 bhp and a 150 bhp ( power output ) you would need to ask them which your one in view is ( its on the reg document) - but both give excellent fuel / mpg figures at over 50 mpg ( average )..

As to comfort - most people have nothing to complain about and the seats are very good - adjustments to get the correct driving position for every driver going!.. and many love them for long distance too - re comfort and of course even better mpg returns on a run.

Too - they are very spacious - especially the estate version - Many people compare / consider these models when looking at high spec cars such as Bmw, Mercedes and so on - so you get the idea - they are a real upmarket vehicle for sensible money.

Again - the car in question at that year if the mileage is correct sounds like you cannot go wrong ..

I hope the above covers all what you were thinking but if there is anything else, do just reply and let me know..Ive tried to give an overall / general overview with some specifics to help you ..

Let me know if you need anything else..

>>......Meantime ......Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me for my time etc - as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Saab Mechanic
Experience: Tech Expert