Mike
Mike, Saab Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a saab 9.5 griffin 2001, and all rear lighting on the

I have a saab 9.5 griffin 2001, and all rear lighting on the boot has failed. (fog, reverse and number plate lights. I can find no fuses blown in drivers side fuse panel. My running lights and brakes lights are working.
Category: Saab
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I would still like an answer to this problem, as you have already taken the fee.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am still waiting for a solution to the problem

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help / advise...

This is not a fuse issue - it is usually broken / chaffed wiring loom issue -very common with this model - but it happens in different places in the loom so its impossible to say just where ...

I know you mention that you have checked - but it does need further tracing / investigating to find this - the break / damage -because that is the fault. Often its found to be in the boot area - but it can be anywhere on the run in the loom to be perfectly honest with you -- garage mechanics just have to look until they find it - there is no "test" or anything like that Im afraid...

Now - on occasion - IF its not a wiring break - then one or the other lamp units are known to give such troubles - causing failure of the lamps. Check if any bulbs have been replaced recently - often a wrong "type" bulb has been fitted - and this causes a short - shorting them all out. Check the actual connectors / pins for shorting due to being twisted / shorted -at the connector - and at the bulbs.
Also - check for broken "circuit" runs - you get the alloy "runs" that break - you have to follow them through visually..

The first thing would be to use a meter to see if you actually have power to -at the lamp unit.... then you know if you do / or not.. where to be looking..ie, back up the loom if not - or, in the connectors / lamp units if power is there. Working as above you will usually find the issue.
The only other issue would be a computer issue / lamp module - that depends on the exact version you have - but it needs to be checked as above to progress with this.
Dont forget to check the earth connections to at the lamps.

Do let me know if you need anything else at all -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Saab Mechanic
Experience: Tech Expert