29905560

I am claiming as a single parent and I am currently under investigation

Customer Question

I am claiming as a single parent and I am currently under investigation for benefit fraud. I having done some research and I have noted that the Law states that my partner is not allowed to stay at my council house for 3 nights a week, however i'm unsure if this relates to the Scottish Law. To add to the dilemma, my partners postal address and a few bills, i.e. TV Licence, car insurance, bank statements and phone are all registered at my address. My partner stays at his mothers on the other 4 days and to add to the misery we have realised that he is not registered on the electaroll for the last 10years. I have stayed in this rented accommodation from the Council for the last 10years also. All parties concerned were unaware of the guidelines until this was flagged up. My partners mum who owns her own house but is a widow of 4 years has taking steps to have him put on the council tax register since this came to light. This is causing me a lot of stress and I would appreciate some guidance so that I could move forward. I look forward to a swift reply.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.

The rules concerning benefits are generally the same throughout the UK so anything you have read applying to the UK or England is likely also to be the law of Scotland.

Can I ask where you got the three night a week rule so that I can check whether this is the law or just an internal guideline?

Send me a link if you can.