31090051

I have just received a letter from sherrif officers saying

Customer Question

I have just received a letter from sherrif officers saying I am owe 1197.24 to Aberdeen City council for housing benefit back in 2003. I cannot remember receiving any notification from the council about this although when I contacted them they said they sent a letter in aug of 2003, I was in the property concerned until oct 2004 and did not receive any other mail.

I had left coucil housing for a few years when I re applied I was told I had debt that had to be paid back before I was housed, I came to an agreement and paid back all known debt to them nothing at all had been made mention of the housing benefit, where do I stand legally with this
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.

Did you phone the council or go to see them?

In my experience there is no point in phoning. You have to go to see them and find out precisely what period they are seeking a refund for. They also have to establish that you received the money in error. Note that there is no time bar on them claiming overpayments but they can only do so if they are owed the funds.

That is why you have to go to see them to find out.

Happy to discuss further.