31090051

My son has been working for a very corrupt auction house ,he

Customer Question

My son has been working for a very corrupt auction house ,he is a very honest hardworking and very popular person ,having been left in charge most of the time to run the business he was under alot of pressure ,working 6 days a week.

He got into debt and as all around him were helping themselves he saw a quick way to repay his debts and stole some things that had lain in storage for years.

His corrupt boss found out and has told him to give him £10,000...or else he will take the matter to the police and blacken his name.

Our family are well known for our integrity in the antiques business ,I as his mother am at a loss as to how to handle this and have not told anyone else.

They got him to sign a form declaring his admission of theft ,he was so shocked and upset he signed it ,they then made him take out  £2,000 from his account and give it to them.

They told him if he doesn t pay they will hound him ,between us so far we have given them

£4000 .

I would be very grateful for your help. He is 31 years old and has never been in trouble before.

They have demanded the money is paid in cash and have given him a receipt for the amounts they have recieved.

Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.

Your son is being blackmailed. Is he prepared to report this to the police and his employer and run the risk of criminal proceedings and/or termination of his employment?

I have been considering your question today and there is no easy answer for him, short of resigning his employment and hoping that the blackmailer ceases his threats once your son is no longer on the premises. However, for all you report that your family is known for its integrity, it is your son that has demonstrated the exception to the rule and I don't think there is a absolute way of getting out of this. Is this a situation that he could turn whistleblower to the owners of the business?

Happy to discuss further but I think there has to be a certain amount of soul searching here in order to decide the least unpleasant path here. Honesty is often the best solution.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.