I purchased a new Skoda Monte Carlo (limited edition of 1,000)

Customer Question

I purchased a new Skoda Monte Carlo (limited edition of 1,000) car from a dealer in Ayr on the 2nd of May 2013 for delivery at the beginning of June. Finance was arranged by me through Lombard, and I paid a £500 deposit by my company charge card on the same day to the car dealership, although I have NOT signed a new vehicle order form, (the salesman came up to my office with one, but it was wrongly made out in my wife's name, and he never brought another one), nor indeed any other documentation. My wife and I were both told by the salesman that his company (Ingrams) had bid for those cars from Skoda and were only getting an allocation of four, that they had sold three, and there was only one left. If we didn't buy the last one now, they wouldn't be able to get any more, as it was a limited edition of 1,000. I was also offered almost £1,000 worth of extras (Amundsen Sat. Nav & Bluetooth) all for a special price of only £11,990 - saving over £3,000. It was made clear by the salesman that this was a once in a lifetime offer, and if I didn't act now I wouldn't be able to buy the car in future. Less than two weeks later, Skoda were advertising these cars WITH IDENTICAL SPECIFICATION AT AN IDENTICAL PRICE as being available at Skoda dealers nationwide until the end of June 2013! When I spoke to the salesman again, he assured me that the Monte Carlo Rally edition was only limited to 1,000 vehicles, and he was correct in what he said to me, that Ingram's couldn't get anymore. When I pointed out to him that other dealers could get it, he said he didn't know anything about that. I spoke to Skoda about this, and the first thing they told me was that it was up to me to find out what I was buying before I agreed to the purchase, and that i wouldn't be able to get my deposit back as I agreed to the sale. I asked them to confirm that there were only 1,000 Monte Carlos made (at this point I was upset about the sales tactics of Ingram's and the Customer Service at Skoda, but still liked the exclusivity of the car, so wasn't seriously thinking about cancelling). The Parson at Skoda then told me that the model I had purchased was called the Monte Carlo Tech, and only 1,000 had been made, but were being sold off cheaply as a NEW version of the Monte Carlo was being made with the same body shell, colours and a similar specification, but couldn't tell me how many were being made. I pressed her for an answer, and she finally phoned me back last Wednesday to tell me that it was unlimited production. I feel aggrieved at being forced into purchasing the car I did so quickly as my wife and I were misled into thinking that we were getting a unique car at a unique price, when in fact they'll probably soon be as common as whit Fiat 500s on the roads! Thank you for your time, Jim Xxxxxxxx, xxxxx xxxxxx, xxxx xxx xxxx

Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you answer tailored to your circumstances I will need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

Can I just try to summarise this so that we can assess the relevant issues? In short, you purchased a car and have seen them advertise it cheaper since?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I was told that there was only one available, and if I didn't buy it now, the seller couldn't get any more from Skoda as they were no longer available - but Skoda advertised them in National Newspapers less that two weeks later

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

At a cheaper price?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. The points I am upset are:

1) We were hassled into buying the car quickly without careful consideration of all options because we were told we wouldn't be able to get one if we didn't act quickly. Lie. They were advertised in National Newspapers just over a week later.

2) there were only 1,000 Skoda Fabia Monte Carlos Made. Lie Apparently they are on an unlimited production schedule.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
I've realised you are in Scotland and you've posted in the England and Wales section.

I will move this to Scots law for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I posted in the Scots Law section. Lets just forget this and refund my deposit. I'll consult a local solicitor