cityguru
cityguru, Solicitor
Experience:  solicitor
18726264

I am trying to retreive a pension from a company I worked for

Customer Question

I am trying to retreive a pension from a company I worked for in the early 1980's. The department I worked for in that company was sold to another company and that new company was subsequently bought by another company. About a year ago I wrote to the company I worked for. They replied by email stating that my letter had been forwarded to the new company, but I never heard anything further from anybody since. I then submitted my details to the government missing pensions site and they sent me a form to send to the first company. I completed the form and sent it off. That was several months ago and I still have not heard anything. I am now at a loss as to what I should do. Is this something I can take legal action over (without big fees) or would you recommend something else I could do to trace my lost pension?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  cityguru replied 4 years ago.
Have you chased the pension tracing service ? they will undoubtedly take some time to respond but you should chase them. Secondly the fact that the dept was "sold" does not mean your pension was transferred. Sometimes accrued pension remains with the original fund. I would go back to the company you worked for and ask for details of their pension fund administrators so you can check if you are actually still a member.