31090051

Hi, I recently stayed at a hotel and after a drunken night

Customer Question

I recently stayed at a hotel and after a drunken night out wet the bed. I advised the hotel I would cover costs but they are now trying to charge me for a new mattress which they advised was £399 and they were also charging for cost of replacement, loss of revenue from room, disposal of damaged bed and new duvet. They have said they will accept £295 if I pay in next 7 days.

I feel these costs are excessive as this was cheap hotel and mattress was in poor state in any case. The cost of the room for the night was £24.

Can you please advise where I stand legally?

Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.

The hotel has to minimise its losses when quantifying the damage caused by you.

All of the heads of claim are relevant if they had no replacement mattress etc available at the time. The cost of a mattress is likely to be more than £300. I bought a single mattress for £300 recently. The cost of the room is of course irrelevant. I suspect that their claim for £295 is reasonable. The state of the mattress before you wet it is not relevant if it then has to be replaced.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Am I within my right to ask for an invoice of new mattress otherwise they could just be telling me anything?
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
You can ask them for vouching, yes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your response. I was going to reply that after looking at professional cleaning services I was willing to make a payment of up to £100. If they would not accept this then I would require a copy of invoice for new mattress dated since the event before considering making any payments as requested. Is this a reasonable response?
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
I was going on the basis that a mattress that someone had wet all over had to be replaced and could not be cleaned. You would need expert evidence as to whether it could be cleaned. From a practical level I doubt it.