31090051

I have received a letter from a solicitor. In the letter it

Customer Question

I have received a letter from a solicitor.
In the letter it says his client id holding me liable for a small injury to her dog caused apparently by my rotweiller. I had 3 dogs. Her dog all be it on a lead was in my driveway. My 2 dogs ran towards the dog but my rotweiller was on a lead and was no where near the womans dog yet she is holding my rotweiller liable. i live in scotland. Dog warden visited & told me that it was because i had a rotweller and that the woman could not persue and advised the woman too. i have got a leeter asking me to admit liability, pay vet bill or solicitor will take me to court. Please help
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.

The woman would have to establish that the injury to her dog was caused by you being negligent in some way, for example that you did not have your dog under control and that the dog bit the woman. In order to do this she needs some kind of evidence, generally eye witness evidence, and whilst her word can be taken as evidence she would really need another witness to say that you dog bit her dog.

If she doesn't have this and it's our word against hers then she has a very real problem in establishing a case against you.

Do not admit liability. Nothing you have narrated above would lead me to conclude that have done anything wrong here.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Many thanks. Going by your reply I should just ignore letter from her solicitor..

Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Or reply demanding an explanation why you have received the letter where there is no legal liability on you.
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
I'm happy to help you further, however if your question has been answered can I ask that you leave positive feedback so that I am credited for my time.