29905560

my daughter purchased a car from a local garage, police have

Customer Question

my daughter purchased a car from a local garage, police have contacted her to say it is stolen and have impounded the car, the garage has stopped trading, the car belonged to the seller who asked the garage to sell on his behalf, my daughter exchanged her car an paid the difference, they garage never passed the money over to the owner who nows claims its stolen. the car was a 2007 nissan x trail for £7500 he gave her £2000 for her car and she paid a balnce of £5500..
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What would you like to know about this situation with the car?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Who really owns the car, my daughter paind the garage, it was not stolen at the time of purchase i did a finance check and check to see if it was stolen, DVLA confirm transfer of owner and my daughter received the vehichle registration document, need to find out as car has been taken to police compound untill issue is resolved, what about her car she traded in if this one was stolen so is hers>

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

Is there any dispute that the original owner gave the vehicle to the dealer please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The owner does not dispute giving the car to the garage to sell on his behalf, what he states is the car was given to the garage to sell, the garage would MOT sevice and check the car and sell, the owner would get the agreed price beween him and garage, I believe the garage should have paid him £6000.00 and the £1500.00 was the garage fee for selling sevicing etc, he states garage did not pay him the 6000.00 owed after garage sold car

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Thanks.Just to let you know, I've realised that you are in Scotland so i will move this to Scots law for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972 ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX still be with you or do you need to refere to another lawyer

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972 - have you any further information, need to find out what this situation is as I may be able to freeze some aasets at the garage premises

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

We are sending this to Scots Law professionals now to ensure that you get the most complete answer possible. Please bear with us; another expert should pick this up shortly.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks