cmd2008
cmd2008,
13754130

My boyfriend has a12k security on my flat. He gave me the money

Customer Question

My boyfriend has a12k security on my flat. He gave me the money to help with doing the flat up. We didn't,t live together in the flat. However, we have split up under bad terms and he said he can force the sale of the property to get his money back. Can he do that?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  cmd2008 replied 4 years ago.
You say doing up the flat. Do you mean decorate or building an extension or other building works? This would give me some indication as to whether he may have a claim.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just to help me out ,so I could get it the way I liked it. It needed a new kitchen and bathroom and I had the walls skimmed and then all decorated. I also bought some bits of furniture etc.
Expert:  cmd2008 replied 4 years ago.
Ok. The cost of a new bathroom and kitchen may mean that he can claim those but not decorating or the skimming.

He would however need a court order of a declaration to say that he has an interest and then he may be able to force a sale. It is likely to be quite expensive and probably not proportionate to the amount he can claim.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hoe long would all this take
Expert:  cmd2008 replied 4 years ago.
Probably several months. I have known it to take a couple of years.