31090051

do i have the right to have a copy of an email that was about

Customer Question

do i have the right to have a copy of an email that was about me,it was from one superviser to another in my work place
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Internal emails are generally confidential. However you can make a subject access request under the Data Protection Act for information about you held electronically by your employers. You have to make a formal request and may have to pay them pay them £10. They then have to give you a copy of everything they hold on computer about you.

Here is the guidance for employers:

"• Remember that workers have a legal right of access to information you hold on them. This includes information about grievance and disciplinary issues, and information you obtain through monitoring. Normally you must give access when a worker requests it, but you can withhold information where providing it to the worker would make it more difficult to detect crime.

• Make sure you have arrangements in place to deal with access requests properly and within the 40-day time limit stipulated in the law.

• When giving access to employment records be careful with information about other people. It could be wrong, for example, to disclose the identity of someone alleging harassment to the person accused of carrying out the harassment.

• If there is a discrepancy between what an applicant tells you and what you learn by carrying out a check, give the applicant an opportunity to give their side of the story. Remember that the information you get from a check could be wrong, particularly if it comes from public records."

I hope this helps. Happy to discuss further. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.