31090051

I am a single 44 year old female of French nationality considering

I am a single 44 year old female of French nationality considering buying a property and living in Scotland.
I plan to make a will leaving my entire estate to two persons not related to me.
Is there any impediment under Scottish inheritance law to prevent me doing so?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.

You can leave heritable estate to anyone you want, ie,houses and land.

As far as money and investments are concerned you can leave those to whoever you want but if you have a spouse or children they can claim legal rights which exist notwithstanding the will. So if you have a spouse or children let me know and I'll give you more information on legal rights. If not you are OK and can leave your estate to whoever you want.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much; a book on property buying in Scotland stated that irrespective of my declared wishes in my will and not having a spouse or children, they were over ridden by the inheritance law and my parents and siblings had indisputable legal claim to my estate.

I will be delighted to give the most favourable response.