31090051

Scots Law on House Purchase

Customer Question

I  bid on a house and was the highest bidder. The entry date was being negotiated and I put my house on the market. I then accepted the entry date. I have two offers for my house but the selling solicitor for the house I bid on has gone  with the second bid instead of mine. Can they do this and what about my costs incurred because I put mine on the market as I thought I had the other house.

Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.

Yes, they can do this, although I appreciate this is not what you want to hear.

Until a missive is tied up in writing, the seller can accept any offer he pleases, or accept an offer verbally then proceed with another offer as appears to have happened in your case.

You have no recourse to reclaim your costs. As a bidder you have no rights. Only when a contract is tied up in writing is there any legal relationship between the seller and purchaser.

That is the law I'm afraid.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.