31090051

Deposit refund

Customer Question

Hello, I moved into a flat in Glasgow 2 years ago with a flatmate, we paid 750pounds in deposit. We then moved out of the flat again on the 24th of May. Today on the 5th of July we received our deposit back. The landlord has from our deposit deducted £80 for painting the wall behind the cooker and £60 for cleaning our 2square feet balcony. As well he charged £45 for changing 7 lightbulbs in the bathroom which I could not fix by myself. Can this be correct?We received back £560 as a total, the last 5pounds I do not dispute. I am a Norwegian Student currently studying in Glasgow and do not know to much about scottish law. Kind Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.

He can charge for the lightbulbs if they were there when you took entry. He can charge for painting if it was needed as a result of your occupation. He can charge for cleaning if needed but the charge seems rather high.

Your deposit ought to have been in a deposit scheme. As it was not you can sue your landlord in the sheriff court for up to three times your deposit, ie, £2250. See a solicitor about this.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.