Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

Iam an unmarried father of a 12 week old daughter and my ex

Customer Question

I'am an unmarried father of a 12 week old daughter and my ex partner (the baby's mother) is making it very difficult for me to see my daughter. I'am named as the father on the birth certificate and I pay child maintenance.
What are the first steps I should take so I can legally see my daughter?

p.s I live in Scotland if that makes any difference.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.

The first thing is to instruct a solicitor to write to your ex and ask that she sees her own solicitor to see if an agreement can be worked out.

If that doesn't work then your lawyer will have to apply to the sheriff court for a contact order. This will invariably be granted unless there is a very good reason as to why is it not in the child's best interests.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.