29905560

equal pay advised 7 years ago by my union not to take settlement

Customer Question

equal pay advised 7 years ago by my union not to take settlement offer from council of £5,200 as this was just a third of what we were due .over the next few years the peopl that took there offer got a futher£ 2,500 because equal pay hadnt been implamented ,so in total these workers got £ 7,700 we were made a final offer of £7,700 but union told us to continue with case .after proceding through tribunal system getting to stage where on the 31st january it was to go to supreme court to win right to go to tribunal , union and council decided withought consulting me to settle out of court ,in may we got a letter from unison telling us they were offering us a settlement of £2,100 and they thought this was accseptible we wrote back to them asking them how could they expect us to except this offer when they advised us to turn down £5,200 seven year ago .they have now yesterday sent us another letter offering us £7,900 but taking £3,000 of in tax and national insurance. leaving us with £4,700 still less than they told us not to take,its beyond belief after 7 years of courts e.t.c any advice .
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.

Can you let me see the correspondence here saying why you should not take this settlement as it seems quite strange to me too?

You can send it to [email protected] and ask them to forward to JGM. None of it is posted online and will remain private.