cityguru
cityguru, Solicitor
Experience:  solicitor
18726264

I ordered goods from argos to be delivered between 7am and

Customer Question

I ordered goods from argos to be delivered between 7am and 12noon today 27 08 13 when they did not arrive I called customer services to find out what had happened to my order they said due goods being out of stock it would be next week before they could deliver.
I have someone coming to stay with me this Friday 30/8/13 and am left with empty room.
they did not inform of the delay.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  cityguru replied 3 years ago.
Did you order online? What do you want to do cancel the order?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I did order on line and I was so angry that I could not speak to anyone higher that I cancelled the order

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how many times do I have to sendthis reply

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I did order on line

Expert:  cityguru replied 3 years ago.
Are you having a problem with the system? I have only received the reply once. Please bear in mind this is not a real time service. I like most of the experts am a practising solicitor and not online all the time. I will however always respond.

I can understand why you were angry, however If you have cancelled then what additional remedy do you want? Have you ot your money back? If you order online then you are entitled to cancel and get a full refund. I agree it is pretty bad customer service not to let you know and let you wait in and they ought to offer you some thing as compensation. However legally in order to get damages you would need to show that you made them aware that delivery on that date or at least before the end of the week was crucial and that it was a condition of buying that the goods were available. This is known as making time of the essence and it is not implied into the contract - you have to do it expressly. Otherwise you remedy is limited to getting a refund.

Let me know what else I can tell you .

Please do not rate my answers until you are satisfied and please bear in mind you are rating my answers not the site or whether the answer is what you would have wished.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
tell me what I can do about it
Expert:  cityguru replied 3 years ago.
What do you want to do about it? You cannot sue for breach of contract unless you made it clear that delivery by a certain date was essential. You can complain very loudly - and in your shoes I would but there is nothing else you can do as long as you get a refund.