31090051

My friend and i where suppose to leave the property we rented

Customer Question

My friend and i where suppose to leave the property we rented by the 2nd of September.

We failed to remove all our stuff before this date but had it all removed by the 4th of September and had not entirely cleaned the property.

The letting agency is now going to charge us for being in the property from the 1st till the 9th claiming that they are having the cleaners in the property on the 9th and taking that as being our last day.

Is there anything i can do to stop this charge from the 1st to the 9th?

Should i be asking for a break down of the charges for cleaning so i do not lose all of my deposit?

Regards,

Jonathan
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

They can certainly charge you rent up to the 4th as you had not fully vacated.

Thereafter they can charge you for the cost of cleaning but not any further rent.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would I be right in saying to the agency that am happy to pay the rent from the 1st till the 4th and the cleaning? what if they do not accept that? what would happen then?

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
That would be my opinion. If they don't accept that then you should contact the company holding the rent deposit and intimate that you are in dispute. They will instigate the dispute resolution service. The deposit cannot be repaid to the landlord until the deposit protection service hears from both parties.