31090051

Hi I was the victim off a fraudulent transaction where I bought

Customer Question

I was the victim off a fraudulent transaction where I bought a car on gumtree that did not exist.
I transferred the money from my bank RBS. To a " google" holding account which was to be held by Barclays Bank until I inspected the car ( which never arrived) then on my say the money would be released to the seller
When the car did not arrive as agreed I embarrassingly called the Rbs asking them to stop the transaction where I was told that "it was nothing to do with them as I had offered the money freely"
Barclays refused to talk to me as I was not a Barclays account holder
I contacted the police who took 3 weeks to reply to my complaint
When they arrived they said that I should contact my bank,this I did,my bank gave me a letter to approach Barclays Bank who told me that the fraudulent account was open for many days after I reported it and that had the police acted I would have received my £7,350 back.
Ronnie
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.

Can you be more specific as regards the transaction. The money was transferred on your instructions from your account at RBS to Barclays. There would appear to be no critisism of RBS for that. If Barclays were to act as escrow account holders then you have to find out why Barclays gave the fraudsters the funds. I see no relevance to the statement to the effect that the fraudulent account was open for many days after you reported it and that had the police acted you would have received your money back. That is a nonsense.

The police are not liable here unless you can give me further information. From the information you have provided Barclays may be liable, although that is only based on the information you have provided.