cityguru
cityguru, Solicitor
Experience:  solicitor
18726264

I have been selected for redundancy, I was interviewed as an

Customer Question

I have been selected for redundancy, I was interviewed as an engineer but I'm employed as something else, I feel this put me in a very unfair position, is this legal to do?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  cityguru replied 3 years ago.
Hi Thanks for your question. how long have you been employed? Can you explain what you mean by interviewed as an engineer but employed as something else. Do you mean when you joined or when you were told about redundancy? Can you give me more background please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've been with the company for around 17 years now, I'm contracted as a Wayleave officer but I was interviewed as an engineer, I was also asked to do a managerial role for the past two years, which in have never received any upgrade for either

Expert:  cityguru replied 3 years ago.
Sorry but I am still not clear what you are saying. Are you saying that you were interviewed when you joined 17 years ago as an engineer but are employed as a wayleave officer? If that is the case then the basis upon which you were interviewed is not really relevant to the situation today. if it is the role of wayleave officer that is potentially redundant then that by itself does not make selection unfair. You should however be told the criteria for selection. Are there more than 20 people affected so that statutory consultation is required? If so the employee reps should get this info otherwise you will need to ask for yourself.

If you have been undertaking a particular role then it is that role that needs to be taken into consideration both to consider whether that role is being abolished or the numbers reduced and also whether there is any alternative that you can be offered.

Is there a selection process or are you being singled out?