31090051

I would like to know under scots law what age the child has

Customer Question

I would like to know under scots law what age the child has to be to decide if they want to see a parent every week or decide themselves if and when they would like to see the parent?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.

In terms of the Children (Scotland) Act 1995 the age of 12 is the age at which a child is deemed to be able to express a view. That is simply a law that says the child's wishes should be taken into account. A judge can take into account other factors but by the age of 12 he is unlikely to interfere with the child's wishes.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.