31090051

minute of agreement was agreed for 10yrs alimony. after 2 years

Customer Question

minute of agreement was agreed for 10yrs alimony. after 2 years spouse stopped- claiming change in employment-since resolved but no money for last year, I am 61, 2 grown up kids,24 yrs married and wonder how i can make him pay as he lives in dubai and I feel aggrieved that as he was the cheat I should not have to live on minimum wage.for next 7yrs
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

If the minute of agreement is registered and he has a bank account or is paid from this country, sheriff officers can carry out an arrestment of funds.

If he does not have any connection with Scotland at present the minute of agreement is pretty worthless here. You would have to attempt to register the agreement in the courts in Dubai. And chase him over there which you will appreciate will be a difficult exercise.

Either way a solicitor will be needed to instruct sheriff officers or liaise with Scottish a Courts Service for foreign enforcement. You can get legal advice and assistance for this kind of thing depending on your own finances.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.