31090051

Insurance Cancellation and accident

Customer Question

My stepson recently had a road traffic accident and correctly provided his insurance details. The insurers are now saying they have received a claim but that his insurance was cancelled on the 18th Oct because he did not respond to two written requests for proof of address (despite him having earlier provided proof of address to the brokers, which they have confirmed). My stepson did not receive any letters possibly due to mail going missing in his shared rented house. The premium has never been refunded. We note that the policy was arranged on line and all communication to the point of the letter had been instigated by email but no email was sent regarding this. Is it a reasonable expectation that the insurers should honour the policy?

Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

This appears to be a matter between the broker and the insurer and your son should be asking the broker what it is doing about the situation. The broker as representing the insurer had proof of address therefore the policy ought not to have been cancelled. I think that the policy should be honoured.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.