31090051

I bought a property in 1998 and agreed two years later to give

Customer Question

I bought a property in 1998 and agreed two years later to give my partner 50%. She has lived in the property since, running it as a business. I now wish to ensure my 50% is safe and eventually in case my demise, passes to my wife.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

How is the title drafted. Equally between you and your partner and to your respective assignees or equally between you and to the survivor of you? If the former then your wife can inherit by virtue of your will. If the latter then your share would automatically pass to your partner on your death and this would mean that the title would have to be changed.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.