31090051

We sold our property which completed this week. Live in Scotland

We sold our property which completed this week.
Live in Scotland so governed by scots law.
Home report (survey) stated that electrics were of an age that they were unlikely to comply with current regulations.
Now, through their solicitor, the purchasers who have taken possession of property have submitted a claim saying electrics are unsafe, highly dangerous and require emergency rewiring repairs and as a consequence have instructed electrician to carry out rewiring etc at a cost of £3,000 which they are claiming off us.
Surely caveat emptor!!!!!!
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

You are absolutely correct. The electrics are a matter for the purchasers to check out when they read the home report. If they didn't check out the electrics at that stage then that is their look out. Standard missives do not warrant electrics, timber infestation, windows etc. the only thing that the missives can sometimes deal with is appliances and almost invariably the central heating system.

Subject to your solicitor checking the specific missives for your transaction, I don't think you have much to worry about.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.