31090051

I have been issued with a parking ticket on a car that does

I have been issued with a parking ticket on a car that does belong to me, however I was not the driver on the day in question and I have no concrete knowledge of who the driver was, as the car was at a garage being repaired. I was out of the area [in England]. I am being hounded for payment. Can I be taken to court? I cannot supply the driver name and am I legally obliged too?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

Presumably someone in the garage was driving the vehicle at the time. You have a duty to cooperate with the authority and as long as you give the circumstances and the name of the garage they can't take you to court.

Also note that if this was a civil penalty notice issued by a private car park operative it's not worth the paper it's written on anyway. The reason for this is that they can't prove that you have a contractual liability to them. Only if it's a local authority ticket do you have to provide the information.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.