cityguru
cityguru, Solicitor
Experience:  solicitor
18726264

I obtained a quote on the telephone from a removal firm to

Customer Question

I obtained a quote on the telephone from a removal firm to deliver a part load from Scottish Borders to Devon. The firm said that effects would be collected and then delivered the next week or the week thereafter. More than a month later the effects have not been delivered and the firm does not answer the phone or e-mail. I have not yet paid for the delivery. Does the firm commit any criminal offence, i.e. theft by baillee? Is there any action I can take to get the furniture and effects delivered? I understand that the firm has not gone into receivership and are still trading as a removal firm.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  cityguru replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question. It may be difficult to establish theft which requires that criminal intent can be demonstrated. If they are fraudsters and just trying to take property int eh pretence of being a removal firm then yes it would be criminal but if they are just in competent or inefficient or have become insolvent then that is not criminal but civiil.

How do you know they are still operating? Are they based somewhere you can go round and visit?

I think I would go to the police anyway if they are simply failing o respond at all and they have taken your property.