cityguru
cityguru, Solicitor
Experience:  solicitor
18726264

Hello, We had insurance in the UK for 10 years prior to moving

Customer Question

Hello, We had insurance in the UK for 10 years prior to moving to Canada for 4 years . We have proof from Johnson Insurance in Newfoundland that we have had no claims there . We come back to the UK and we are now told that our insurance has to revert to 0 no claims . My husband is 58 and I am 50 , and we are back at 0 when we have had no claims in the last 20 years ? surely this is unfair. Help would be appreciated .
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  cityguru replied 3 years ago.
Hi thanks for your question. I assume you are talking about motor policies here? The fact is that there is no legal obligation on an insurer to offer any no claims discount. It is market practice and if you met their requirements they would have difficulty in refusing you but your only recourse would be to the ombudsman.

In reality some insurers will offer introductory discounts and take account of your claims free record in assessing premium but you may beed to shop around or use a broker to get the best deal. Some insurers may accept your overseas record. Your position is little different from someone who has use of a fleet owned company car and has no personal no claims record to carry over if they then get a personal vehicle.

Certainly your good record and age will get taken into account but they are not obliged to give you a no claim discount if you do not fit their requirement.