31090051

Dear Sir/Madam I am writing to you about a current dispute

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to you about a current dispute i have with Virgin Media. Basically i ended my virgin media contract when i moved house, and was told on the phone that that was the end of the matter.

Weeks later i received a letter from virgin which told me i had to pay £110 in cancellation fees. I have been in contact with virgin since i received this letter in November via phone, mail and email. I am disputing the length of my contract which they claim was 18 months and i claim was only 12. When i phoned to cancel my contract (in october) i was informed of no cancellation fees, and indeed asked if that was the end of the matter (in regards XXXXX XXXXX contract ending). I was told yes.

When the bill arrived i phoned and sent a letter to them and had no response. 6 weeks later I then received a phone call from a debt collection agency, stressing the need for me to pay this money or else i will incur future fines. I phoned virgin media on 23rd December and was told to email (which i did 2 hours later), as over the phone they can no longer help me as the account is now closed. I have received no reply from virgin. I asked for a contract copy to be sent to me, along with a transcript of my phone call as this is the only way i feel the matter will be resolved. I also urged that they remove my details from a debt collection agency, as i am acknowledging this bill problem and not running away from it.

I have still had no reply 2 weeks later after being told the turn around for emails was 24-48 hours.

Could you please give me some advice how to proceed. I am still being bombarded by the debt collection agency, who are less than helpful when i try to explain my predicament. I am very concerned that this will affect my credit rating.

Your faithfully

Mark Hyson
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.

This should not affect your credit rating and this happens a lot, not that will necessarily be of consolation to you. I aware that debt collection agencies send out letters but are not good at responding to letters and phone calls.

Write to both Virgin and the debt agency using recorded delivery.

1. Tell them their claim is denied.

2. Tell them to supply you with the paperwork you have requested and point out that without it they have no claim against you. They have to establish their claim against you. It is not for you for you to prove anything.

3. Tell them you are relying on their representation that the account was closed and there were no further charges to pay.

4. Email copies of your letter to the Chief Executive of Virgin Media at [email protected] Also scan and email to him the nuisance letters you have been getting about this. Bombard him with all the paperwork.

5. Do not be intimidated and take a proactive and direct approach.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know if I can help you further here. If not please leave a positive feedback so that I am credited for my time.