31090051

Hi. I have a consumer rights issue. Bought a multi-function

Customer Question

Hi. I have a consumer rights issue. Bought a multi-function printer approx 22 months ago from Amazon UK. The printer is now showing a fault, and they will do nothing to assist other than refer me to the manufacturer. I know the law centres around "reasonable time" in this area, but I think it is reasonable to expect my printer to last at least two years or more.

I know in the UK most of this is covered by the "Sale of Consumer Goods Act 1979" however, I also understand that there is an EU directive which comes into play here. The UK law states that after six months the onus is on the consumer to prove fault, while the EU directive states that the onus remains on the part of the seller. Which is correct?

Really, I want to know what options I have left. Amazon are simply not interested, the manufacturer warranty is up after one year, and I now have a very expensive doorstop!
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.

As the European Regulations now form part of UK law, UK law now offers greater protection for consumers against products which develop faults within the first 6 months. The assumption is now that if it breaks down within this time period it cannot have conformed to the contract specification when purchased and you have the right to an automatic repair or replacement. However, items such as your printer, which should last several years, can still break down after this six month period. If the retailer or manufacturer’s warranty has run out, the shop is often quick to say there is nothing they can do. This is misleading. If you buy something which should last 5 years but breaks down after 22 months, you can still claim it was of poor quality in reference to the durability aspect. In this respect it will help to know how long items such as the printer should last. You can get this information possible from a relevant trade association, however, the printer should in my view be good for five years anyway. That is the benchmark for most computer equipment.

If you sue Amazon, I think you would win.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if I can help you further here. Otherwise please leave a positive response on the system so that I am credited for my time.