31090051

I bought a new Audi A3 tdi on 14th Dec 2011, PAYING £22,000

Customer Question

I bought a new Audi A3 tdi on 14th Dec 2011, PAYING £22,000 CASH ( NO TRADE IN)
Since I bought the car it seems to have developed a fault in that a light called a Diesel particulate filter comes on , the car as been taken in local Audi garage 3 times on a low loader vehicle ( i was provided with a hired vehicle, which I had to return to Audi garage when I went to pick up my own car ), the garage is 54 miles from my home Causing me quite a lot of inconvenience.
The same problem has happened on 2 other occassions , where it was fixed by a computer at the road side( again causing inconvenience having to wait for RAC to arrive.
What is my legal rights?

ANN HUTTON
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

If the fault has developed since you bought the car over two years ago you are unlikely to be able to establish that the fault was inherent at the time of purchase, however, if you can do so, you would have a claim for damages under the sale of goods legislation.

A claim that the car is not of satisfactory quality could not be sustained unless you can show the reason for the failure and that it was sold to you that way by the seller. To do that you would need an independent mechanic possibly form the RAC or AA to do an inspection and report

Apart from that, and any remaining warranty you might have, you have no other legal remedies I'm afraid.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.