31090051

In 1972/1973 I was accused and charged without legal representation.

In 1972/1973 I was accused and charged without legal representation. I had been asked to visit the police station "for a chat" about the accusation. When I arrived there I found that one of those who questioned me was a sergeant who was a golfing friend and so I was quite relaxed about my visit. Little did I know that the incident in question had been orchestrated by a jealous and troublesome neighbour (those who brought the charge were seen to visit the neighbour the day after the trial). I was acquitted but some of the mud stuck, especially at work where my career progression was adversely affected. Although now in my 80th year the feeling of injustice still burns. I understand that under European law any charge made without legal representation is now quashed. Is this true after such a time span and would such an action apply in Scots law?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

This wouldn't apply to something that happened so long ago. Secondly and in any event you were found not guilty so there is no conviction to quash.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.