31090051

do the local council have the right to access a private bank

do the local council have the right to access a private bank account
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

In what sense do you mean access a private bank account.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am applying for housing and council tax benefit and it would appear to me that the person I was speaking to had information about my bank account which I had not provided her with

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
What information did the person have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not trying to give the council false information by the way I was just very surprised that she knew when I had sold my house how much I had sold it for and then wanted to know what I had done with the money which by the way I told her and it was only later I wondered how s

he had come by her information because I had had. no reason to tell her

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your reply.

The information about you selling your house and what you got for it is available from the Registers of Scotland. So the person didn't get any info about your bank account. The information about the house came from registers that the public has access to.

The fact that she had to ask you what you did with the money from the sale indicates perhaps that she didn't have access to your bank account.

Happy to discuss further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This person in question said that I had mentioned a figure and that the figure was wrong because it was t different from the figure in the bank it wasn't actually because I had paid off part of my mortgage which she knows nothing about. and she did specifically say in the bank.

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
I suspect she was at it as the council doesn't have access to your bank accounts. All the council would have access to would be how much your house sold for. Your bank would not release information about your account without a written authorisation.