How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 4
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

If a Scottish student withdraws from a Scottish university

Customer Question

If a Scottish student withdraws from a Scottish university course by the end of the second week of that course, should they have to pay the tuition fees for that academic year themselves?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

A Scottish student does not pay tuition fees.

Can you give more information?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The £1,800 fees are normally paid by SAAS. However, in the event of a withdrawal, SAAS will apparently only pay 40%. Can a Scottish University compel a Scottish student to pay the remaining 60% if that student withdraws by the end of week two of the course?

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Are you asking about a dropout student.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.


If a Scottish student decides within two weeks of the beginning of a course at a Scottish University, that they've made a mistake and no longer wish to continue with that course, should they be compelled to pay the tuition fees for the whole of that academic year?

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
What is the contract between the student and the university? If the university has taken the student on on the basis that fees are payable whether by SAAS or privately and SAAS don't pay the whole in the event of withdrawal then it may be that the student is liable as a matter of contract. The documents making a formal offer of a place on the course would have to be examined.