31090051

I have been a tenant for 8 years in a house on Mull. I have

Customer Question

I have been a tenant for 8 years in a house on Mull. I have always paid my rent on time and I have been given 2 months notice to move. I have no- where on the island to go to and employment means I need to stay here, There is likely to be temporary winter accommodation come up at the end of the somewhere and I wondered what would be the situation if I sit tight until then still paying the rent.
Iain Thomson
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

Two months notice is required to terminate a short assured tenancy. I presume that is what you have. The landlord would have to go to court for an order to recover possession of the house if you decide to sit tight. The court would grant the order eventually but you can stay in the house until then. You would, however, be responsible for the landlord's expenses of the action.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.