31090051

My husband and I have not made a will yet, and really dont

My husband and I have not made a will yet, and really don't know where to start. He is 51, and I am 48. We have 3 children & a morgage on a detatched house. Can you give us any advice?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

You would get a solicitor to make a will for you and also give you advice on any inheritance tax issues you may have.

A normal kind of will would be that you leave the bulk of your watts to each other whom failing to the children and any grandchildren. You would also appoint executors, typically each other, your solicitor and possibly another family member.

Two wills would cost about £150 plus VAT if they are straightforward and most high street solicitors can deal with this kind of work.

I am happy to answer any specific questions but that is where you would start.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for that.

I think I am always confused as to what "high street solicitor" you can just walk in to. I'd hate to walk in and be told that we just deal with house-buying" or similar. That is probably what has put me off for so long. That and the fact that my husband & I rarely visit a high street together. We do live a very long way from any town. :/

Can these sort of things be dealt with on-line, or on the telephone?

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Yes such things can be dealt with on the phone or by email. The solicitor can take your instructions and draft the will and send them out for signing, as long as you have a witness available as a will has to be witnessed by an independent adult.

Note you make your wills separately, not jointly, so you don't have to be together or even use the same lawyer.

Any solicitor who does house buying and selling will generally also do wills.

You can call the Law Society for a recommendation in your area. 0131(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Customer: replied 3 years ago.