cityguru
cityguru, Solicitor
Experience:  solicitor
18726264

is it legal to advertise a joinery business under an assumed

is it legal to advertise a joinery business under an assumed name from a private home that you dont own
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  cityguru replied 3 years ago.
Hi can you explain the background a little more? Do you mean a trade name or a false name? Does the advertiser rent the property or use the address with the permission of the owner?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my husband died last june and the house is in my husbands name. the estate has still to be finalised but my stepson has locked me out and is now using his fathers name who was not a joiner , to advertise his business from this property. my stepson is not a joiner but he works with his friend who is

Expert:  cityguru replied 3 years ago.
Ok thanks. I cannot really comment on the basis on which he is occupying the house but clearly you must potentially have some claim as the deceased' s wife. However if your stepson is in occupation then there is nothing to prevent him using it as a business address. So far as name is XXXXX XXXXX is a legal requirement that if you are trading under any name other than your own , you must disclose that fact os if he alls himself XYZ joiner he must disclose the fact that it is him trading as XY joiner. If he does he can be reported to trading standards and may be in breach of the companies acts.