31090051

i was married 2 years ago and lived in my husbands home which

Customer Question

i was married 2 years ago and lived in my husbands home which is in his name. unfortunately my husband passed away and my stepson locked me out. i want to get my personal belongings and furniture out as he has now moved his girlfriend and baby in the house. i am still fighting for my prior rights but he is making it difficult for me to retrieve my belongings, what can i do
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

You must see a solicitor immediately. You mentioned prior rights so I assume that your husband died without leaving a will. That being the case you are entitled to the house and the contents up to the values laid down in the legislation and your stepson has no right to be in the house at all.

You have to get yourself appointed as executor and then get a court order to have him removed from the house.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.