31090051

My son is about to become a father soon.The mother and my son

Customer Question

My son is about to become a father soon.The mother and my son are not in a relationship.I have been told that the mother is not putting the fathers name on the birth certificate even though the father and family wants to be involved in the childs life.Does the father have any rights?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

If the mother doesn't put the father on the birth certificate then the father has no automatic parental rights unless they are married.

The unmarried fathers remedy is to apply to the court for a parental rights and a contact order.

If the mother denies that the father is the father then the court can ask the mother to have a DNA test. If the mother refuses the court can make and order in favour of the father.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.