31090051

Hi do I have any right to expect my friend to take responsibility

Hi do I have any right to expect my friend to take responsibility for paying off a van he got that I paid for on my credit cards . The van went in his name an he agreed to pay it off but didn't an now I'm off on the sick ( broken ankle) an can't keep up the payments x please help
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

If there was an agreement that you would make the payments and he would refund you then yes you can hold him to that agreement. I presume that the can was bought for his use and that he asked you to make the payments for him as some kind of a loan. If that is not the case then I am happy to discuss further with you if you let me have further information.

In the meantime I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes he broke down an I was with him. It was Easter weekend an I didn't have the cash so used my credit cards .van cost £9.600 an he said he was due ppi an would clear the debt .after a year I begged him to pay money into credit cards but he said he couldn't afford it . He lied about his income to me .he continually told me to go bankrupt but he eventually returned the van in August but has refused to make any payment . Can I make him responsible for the debt as he promised to pay it monthly .
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
You are still responsible to your credit card company but yes you can sue him for the money he owes you. If it is under £3000 you can use the small claim court. Go to www.scotcoirts.gov.uk to get the for a you need.

Happy to discuss further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Basically the amount owing is £3.200 plus two yrs interest . Is he liable for interest or am I liable . Could u tell me honestly how much an how long this would take if I took him to small claims . Thanks
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
As the amount is over £3000 you can't use the small claim court unless you restrict your claim to £3000. If you claim the full £3200 and interest you have to use summary sheriff court procedure and should use a solicitor.

Either procedure from start to finish would typically take about 4 to 6 months.
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.