31090051

I am employed by the catholic Church and have been for 23yrs.

I am employed by the catholic Church and have been for 23yrs. I have worked for the same priest and my tax records say I am employed by St Johns Church. The priest has left and now they want me to have a contract between the new priest and myself. I did not have a written contract before. What are my rights? I am saying that my last contract was never ended therefore my employment should be classed as continuous as I am still employed by St Johns Church. They are saying this was a mistake. can you help
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

I can't advise you on canon law but under employment law if your employer who has been paying you is the church then there is no requirement for you to have a new contract of employment. You should have a written contract of employment stating the terms and conditions of your employment but that should be with your existing employer.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.