31090051

My son(19 years old)has signed off the dole to work in an Indian

My son(19 years old)has signed off the dole to work in an Indian restaurant.They have not asked for his bank details and are paying him £120(cash in hand) for working 30 hours a week.Th.is equates to £4 an hour.How can he legally challenge the company as surely this is illegal?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

Paying in cash isn't illegal, however a wage slip has to be provided and his wage has to be at least the national minimum wage for his age. The top line minimum age for a 19 year old is £5.03, so even allowing for a few pounds in tax and NIC they are paying him under the minimum wage.

He can complain to an employment tribunal if he can't sort it out with them directly.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.