31090051

I was in a relationship with a woman, during which she borrowed

Customer Question

I was in a relationship with a woman, during which she borrowed a very expensive watch of mine. We have now gone our seperate ways however obviously I would like this back and she is refusing to give me it, what are my rights ???
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

Your rights are to claim the watch back as it was a loan and not a gift. If she refuses to give you the watch back you can take her to court and ask the court to make her deliver the watch to you or alternatively make her pay you the cost of the watch.

You could report this to the police on the basis that it is theft. The police might not want to take action describing it as a 'civil matter'. However the criminal definition of theft is the intention to deprive an owner permanently of his property so the police in my view should be able to take action.

If they did it would avoid the time and expense of having to go to court.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.