31090051

My son has had a summons to appear in court charged with an

My son has had a summons to appear in court charged with an assault which he has admitted to doing, but was also assaulted by the accused himself. Does he need a solicitor to fight his case and if so would he qualify for legal aid? The other person has been charged with regards XXXXX XXXXX sons assault.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

A good solicitor would always be an advantage, not to fight the case, as from what you say he will be pleading guilty but to put your son's position to the court, ie, he was assaulted too, it was a fight etc etc. a good plea in mitigation can make a great difference to the disposal of the case.

He may get legal advice and assistance from the legal aid scheme depending on what his financial position is. I would say that he should see a good criminal lawyer to talk it over, most first interviews are free, and to see if he qualifies for legal aid.

An assault charge is always worth having a solicitor on your side.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.