29905560

I have given the keys back to a rented property and the deposit

Customer Question

I have given the keys back to a rented property and the deposit has been given to the landlady through a third party to the sum of £653 but the report from the inspection stated minor things like washing liquid left in washing machine. I have tried to contact the landlady but assume she is ignoring me. I have now sent an email to ask her intentions with regard to the deposit. I am ex military and left the property in a good state and the minor report clarified that the flat was left in a good clean state. Do I have any rights in retrieving my deposit - is the law different in Scotland(Relocated with work from England).

I would very much appreciate your advice.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

Who was the third party that held the deposit? Deposits are only able to be left in the hands of one of the deposit agencies approved by the Scottish government. Those agencies have to consult with both parties before releasing the deposit.

Can you tell me more about who was holding the deposit?