31090051

We live in a Victorian terrace of 5 townhouses in a conservation

We live in a Victorian terrace of 5 townhouses in a conservation area. The terrace is not listed. The other 4 houses have, for a variety of reasons too complicated to explai succinctly lain empty for 7-8 years. They are becoming increasingly dilapidated, with windows boarded up, gutters leaking, woodwork rotting, etc. the current owners bought them 2-3 years ago with planning permission for conversion into 8 flats, which I believe has now expired. Do we have any legal rights?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

You could consider going to court against the neighbours on the ground of nuisance or possible a breach of the title deeds if appropriate.

However that would be costly. You should approach the council with a view to getting them to serve a statutory notice of repairs instructing the owners to carry out repairs so as to alleviate any nuisance. If the council do so and if the owners don't do the repairs the council can instruct the repairs and charge the owners for doing so.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.